AIIE was founded in 1948
Within a year of its inception, membership consisted of 1,279 members, including 938 students, 2 senior chapters and 10 university chapters. The first convention was held in June 1950 and has continued annually since that time. By 1958, membership had escalated to 6,500 members with 80 chapters and climbed to 12,000 by 1960.
The Journal of Industrial Engineering became a monthly publication in 1966, and two years later branched into AIIE Transactions and Industrial Engineering. In 1972 the headquarters moved from New York to Atlanta, Georgia where it remains today.