Industrial Engineering Philosophy and MethodsPresentation by Prof K.V.S.S. Narayana Rao
14 June 2016, at NITIE.
Presentation made by Prof K.V.S.S. Narayana Rao, Professor, National Institute of Industrial Engineering, Mumbai at GloGift Conference, July 2010, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Industrial engineering is redesign of engineering system both products and production system to make them productive and economical. Industrial engineering improves efficiency and reduces cost of production and products. Reduction in costs permits companies to sell products at lower prices and increase sales. Thus industrial engineering provides growth to companies and thus in aggregate provides growth to economy.
The redesign is done immediately after the original designers come out with the design and also many times later during the operation of the production system or production life cycle of the product.
Industrial engineering methods can be classified in these categories
1. Product Design Efficiency Engineering
2. Methods Efficiency Engineering - Production Methods Efficiency Engineering, Inspection Methods Efficiency Engineering, Maintenance Methods Efficiency Engineering, Business Processes Efficiency Engineering, Management Methods Efficiency Engineering
All resources used in methods are analysed for efficient usage. Man, Material, Money, Management, Motive Power, Machine,
3. Industrial Engineering Optimization - Engineering system problems are expressed as mathematical functions and maximum or minimum values as appropriate are ascertained to use as design values.
4. Industrial Engineering Statistics - Issues related to variability in engineering systems are decided using statistical methods - Ex. Statistical quality control, Six sigma methodology to improve process capability to determine the target central value and minimise variation of the process.
5. Industrial Engineering Economics - Use of engineering economics methodology to decide the productivity of capital used in engineering systems
6.Human Effort Engineering - Principles of Motion Economy, Motion Study to improve human effort efficiency, Ergonomics, Job Evaluation and Wage Incentives
7. Work Measurement, Cost Measurement, and Productivity Measurement
8. Management of IE studies, projects and departments
Application Areas for Industrial Engineering in an Organization
1. Production Industrial Engineering
2. Inspection Industrial Engineering
3. Maintenance Industrial Engineering
4. Transportation Industrial Engineering
5. Supply Chain Industrial Engineering
6. Marketing System Industrial Engineering
7. Information System Industrial Engineering
Engineering and Industry Sectors for Industrial Engineering Application
Electrical Equipment Manufacturing
Electronic Equipment Manufacturing
Updated 15 June 2016
12 June 2015