Penn State Univerisity
1908 – The industrial engineering program at Penn State is founded by Hugo Diemer, a pioneer in the field. Diemer coined the term “industrial engineering” in 1900 to describe the fusion of engineering and business disciplines. Diemer is named the first head of the department.
1909 – The Department of Industrial Engineering is officially established.
1910 – The department graduates its first two industrial engineering students.
1919 – Edward Kunze becomes head of the department.
1921 – J. Orvise Keller is named head of the department.
1926 – Charles William Beeese is named head of the department.
1930 – Clarence E. Bullinger is named head of the department.
1937 – The department receives the first ever accreditation for industrial engineering education by The Engineers’ Council for Professional Development.
1955 – Benjamin Niebel is appointed department head. Neibel is honored by the then-Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) with the prestigious Frank and Lillian Gilbreth Award, the highest honor from IIE that recognizes individuals for their contributions to the welfare of mankind in the field of industrial engineering.
1963 – Professor Inyong Ham returns to Penn State from Korea and becomes a pioneer in group technology. During his 37-year career with the department, he received international and national acclaim for his discoveries.
1967 – The doctoral program is permanently established in the department.
1973 – The department is renamed the Department of Industrial and Management Systems Engineering to reflect the increased offerings in management science and operations research.
1979 – William Biles is named head of the department.
1981 – Alan Soyster is named head of the department.
1986 – Penn State is the first and only industrial engineering department in the United States to install a full-scale automated Flexible Manufacturing System.
1992 – Funding from the Ben Franklin Partnership leads to the development of the Metal Casting Center of Excellence. Directed by Professor Robert Voigt, the center was a multi-year collaboration between the IME department, the civil engineering department, and forty-five Pennsylvania foundries.
1997 – A. Ravi Ravindran is named the department head.
2000 – Leading machine tool builder, Haas Automation, partners with the department to establish the largest Haas technical center in existence. Located in the Factory for Advanced Manufacturing Education Lab, the Haas technical center contains eleven CNC machining centers and turning centers for teaching and research.
2001 – Richard Koubek is named head of the deparment.
2007 – The Center for Service Enterprise Engineering is created due in part from a $1 million gift from Harold and Inge Marcus. The center, directed by Professor Terry Friesz, is the first U.S. academic center devoted solely to the study and practice of service engineering.
2009 – The department celebrates its centennial and 100 years of continuing innovation in industrial engineering.
2009 – Paul Griffin is named the Peter and Angela Dal Pezzo Chair and Head of the Department.
2009 – The Center for Integrated Healthcare Delivery Systems is created. Director Harriet Black Nembhard establishes Penn State’s first collaborative center focused on solving the problems of access and quality in healthcare.
2010 – The Global Learning Lab is established though a generous gift from Peter and Angela Dal Pezzo. The lab is a modern 1,000-square-foot facility that allows Penn State students and faculty to have access to colleagues, partners and corporate sponsors worldwide through the use of advanced video and teleconferencing technology.
2015 – Janis Terpenny is appointed the Peter and Angela Dal Pezzo Chair and Head of the department.
1924: Industrial Engineering first appears as the "Industrial Option" in the mechanical engineering curriculum.
1945: Georgia Tech President Blake Van Leer oversees creation of a Department of Industrial Engineering housing 15 students and three professors working in two borrowed rooms in the Swann Building. Frank Groseclose, who will later become known as the “father of industrial engineering” at Georgia Tech, becomes the first professor.
1946: Groseclose becomes the first director of the Department. The Department awards its first Bachelors of Industrial Engineering.
1947: The department begins its graduate program offering a Master in Industrial Engineering.