The following questions should be raised and, as always, answered only after careful consideration:
1. What are the inspection requirements of this operation?
2. What are the requirements of the preceding operation?
3. What are the requirements of the following operation?
4. Will changing the requirements of a previous operation make this operation easier to perform?
5. Will changing the requirement of this operation make a subsequent operation easier to perform?
6. Are tolerance, allowance, finish, and other requirements necessary?
7. Are they suitable for the purpose the part has to play in the finished product ?
8. Can the requirements be raised to improve quality without increasing cost?
9. Will lowering the requirements materially reduce costs?
10. Can the quality of the finished product be improved in any way even beyond present requirements?
Illustrations to be added over time.